Monday, April 27, 2009

I spent the weekend battling allergies and doing mending. A lot of mending. I finished my quilt top and I'll post photos later today but right now I'm working on a skirt. I like skirts better than shorts in the summer and I used to wear them practically year round but I got out of the habit when I was ill. Although, it would have been easier when I had to wear the catheter bag strapped to my leg if I'd worn skirts than pants. I also went through summer clothing of the children's to remove the outgrown pieces to give to the charity shop. I usually would FreeCycle these but I have found a charity shop I like and they are dirt cheap so I know those who need the items can get them for practically nothing. I don't like the idea of FreeCyclers taking the items to sell for yard sales and to consignment shops. I love FreeCycle so don't think I'm bashing them and send me a nasty comment. It's great and we use it often. I came home with 200 National Geographics, Smithsonians, Teaching Tolerance, and Nature Conservancy magazines over the weekend and my kids will end up reading them cover to cover.
Our yard is a sea of pollen. Beautiful yellow pollen and it's wearing me out. H told us this morning, as we readied to leave for the bus, that we were breathing flower sperm. Thank you H. She then told us that she had made flowers have sex in Biology on Friday. Thanks for that too H. I don't think I was like that at 16 because I really believe my mother would have killed me if I'd said the word sperm or sex.
I'm back to my skirt and sewing machine.

3 comments:

Amy McMean said...

That cracks me up.

They made flowers have sex. I never even got to cut anything open in science and they are helping populate the flower world. God for them.

I'd wear skirts all the time in the summer if my legs didn't resemble telephone polls LOL!

Millie said...

We never cut any flowers up too. So funny how kids just have one thing in mind...I cannot remember that we were like that as kids or were we and I cannot remember it anymore?
I have very bad allergies too, so I know from experience how that pollen can give you watery eyes and a stuffy nose.

Granny Sue said...

LOL! thank you for that! I think I like your Hannah. Flower sperm indeed! I will never look at pollen the same way again.