Monday, April 06, 2009

I Love You Coffee


I'm a caffeine addict and I am not ashamed to admit that to anyone. You are not good for me. My blood pressure at the doctor's made this very clear to me. I've just come with meds to try to get the pressure down and help me feel better. Blood work next week to check my thyroid, and Hannah's. Hannah is loosing her hair and stopped her menses. Aren't we a pair?
I love coffee, tea, chocolate, and Diet Coke. I drink more than I should of these things and eat my portion of chocolate. Although, I've been really good on the chocolate front, and cut back enormously, I've replaced it with coffee. I'm a bit hopeless. I have been drinking coffee since I was six, and as of the eighth that will be 41 years. I have my great-grandmother Mommaw Brown to thank for this habit. I still remember that first cup! It was so good. Half Carnation evaporated milk and half coffee. Our love was meant to be from first smell. The first sip was consummation of the love. I do stray from my love in the hotter months, and seek out iced tea, but I also brew coffee and make iced coffee as well.
I have to cut back. It's going to be ugly. I apologize now for future headaches and surliness. I am laying a lot of hope in the meds sitting in my kitchen. Hopes that I will get continue my long and happy love affair with the Bean. Meds that may do the job without decreasing my daily cups. Sigh. I am not good at this. I am afraid of what would be left of me after a withdrawal. I did this when pregnant but I was younger and stronger. Sigh. I am going to go pray for the best.

4 comments:

Vickie said...

Amen Sister! I am the same except for the tea...Coffee, latte, chocolate & diet coke. I take Hyzaar for my blood pressue and know I need to cut back soon.

I am so tired today!!!

bethbbk said...

Wow - you don't look anywhere near that old, ummm...young. I would have guessed much younger. See, maybe the caffeine's making you look younger.

Millie said...

Cathy, I love my coffee too. Start the day with a cup and end the day with a cup. Not to mention all the tea, more coffe and diet coke in between the coffe. And my coffe and tea has to get milk/cream in. Not so good for my weight, but I just have to have it this way.

Anonymous said...

Very well done Cathy doing such a hard thing. The whole of your body, mind and spirit's going to benefit in the long run, but oh the suffering until then! I think caffeine withdrawal is one of the worst things ever. I tried dandelion coffee (mediocre but good in smoothies) and now I'm quite hooked on herbal teas, especially sweet fennell.