Friday, May 22, 2009

Low Key Life and Vandalia






I have lived a very low key life this week. I hadn't even left my street all week. I have taken walks but that has been the only travel to anywhere and nowhere. This has been one of our weeks without my step-children so the house is very quiet. It has also been a week of standardized testing for all the children. My girls have came home starving and tired every afternoon. I'm anxious for school to be over just like the children. One of K's teachers told her class yesterday she hoped they all failed on their testing. I was ready to call in about it but I staid the angry feelings and didn't. I tried being empathic instead and felt sorry for her. She has to be sick of all of those 13 and 14 year old children. I know I would be. All I can say is "Bless her heart and hurry vacation."
What I have done this week is some house work (boring), some mending (boring), reading (boring), very little cooking, made an apron, watched "So, You Think You Can Dance" (love it) and I have worked on a new quilt. I have been playing around with these blocks for some time. I liked the colors but didn't know where I wanted to go as far as a finished product. Now I have it sitting out and have it mapped out in my brain what I want to do. It's going to have cattails and fireflies! I hope to have the applique mostly finished by Monday but I have to work at the mission this weekend.






The other reason it may not get finished is that this weekend is Vandalia Festival here in West Virginia and I love it! I am hoping for beautiful weather and I will take lots of photos! There are so many things I love about this festival. I love that is on the capital grounds which are beautiful. I love the fact there will be traditional music and fiddle and banjo contests. K's best friend won in her age division last year for old-time fiddling. I can't wait to watch her play! There will be crafters and artists from all over the state. There will be square dancing, clogging, highland dancing, a liars contest (awesome!) and the winners of the quilting contests. The food is out of this world and I am ready for a sweet iced-tea and an ear of roasted corn! All the images for Vandalia are from the state website. We lost all our photos when our computer "died" last year. We were stupid for not backing them up.
Just for informational purposes, does anyone have a mother who has things sent to your home so your father doesn't know about it? I have a huge box containing 15 rose bushes sitting here bought by my mother that I am supposed to "give" to her as a gift. Lord, help me.
I am hoping everyone has a lovely Memorial Day weekend!

2 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Sometimes we need a week of quiet Cathy in order to recharge our batteries. Hope the quilt turns out well.

Vickie said...

The festival sounds wonderful. I hope the weather is nice and you guys have a great time. Don't wear yourself out though....remember, when you get home....there are NO KIDS!!!!!