Friday, March 13, 2009

My Unwelcome Neighbors




It's been an okay week. The "bugs" continue to plague our children but A and I are not catching the nasties from the girls. All four of my step-children managed to come down with illnesses this week while at their mother's. I really have no pity as I've been dealing with this stuff forever it seems. Hannah's doctor now says she has temporary asthma and is on 2 inhalers and K can't seem to get her stomach back to normal but I'm glad to be done with the fevers for now. Fevers scare me. The rest can be dealt with but I feel helpless when they run fevers and the Tylenol does not work.



The boys and I had nice walks this week and they even had a bit of snow to play in this morning. My unwelcome neighbors are the deer. They are beautiful but they see my property as one big salad. They eat everything except the daffodils and lambs ear. In 10 years, I have seen my daylillies bloom once. My iris never get more than a few inches up out of the soil. The yard is too large. We are not allowed to have fences here in this area and the deer are laughing at us. They are not afraid. They just look at you and continue to eat. I could not begin to tell you how many times I have walked out the front door and walked into a deer on my porch. They will walk up to my door to eat the pansies or whatever I may put there. We've tried all manner of deterrents but they are unstoppable. I am looking again for flowers they supposedly will not eat that I have not planted in the past. Until then I will have to look at them. Venison anyone?

4 comments:

KatBouska said...

Well I bet they just love you for it! How nice of you to plant little snacks for them. ;)

Amy McMean said...

ummmm yummy, the deer not the flowers, I'm a total meat eatter.

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

I do believe they all have a smug look on their little faces! A 270 works well on those critters! I sure would hate it too if the deer ate my flowers..flowers cost money to buy and plant....what a bummer! Hey at least you dont have a chocolate Lab ruining your flowers...he not only eats anything I plant he also diggs them up and scatters dirt everywhere and then plays with my flowers...they end up all over the yard...well anything loose does...grrrrr

Cat said...

I agree about the mocking. They have no fear whatsoever. We are not allowed to hunt in our little area of woods and they laugh at our helplessness. They even ignore the dogs and that is just sad but seeing how Dubh is the heaviest at 30 pounds what do they have to worry about.