Thursday, July 16, 2009
Banana Pie
The title is misleading. Banana Pie is Hannah's nickname and this about my number one girl. Yesterday, we had our long awaited (6 months) appointment with the dermatologist for Hannah. The doctor was amazing and Hannah loved her. Score one for our family doctor in finding this woman for us. Hannah has Alopecia Areata. She has been dealing with this for a year not knowing anything and now to have a real diagnosis is such a relief. We may be on the end the hair loss as some of the bald patches grew back but are very short and stopped at about an inch. Now, this is all right on the top of her head - bald spots. Hannah has super curly hair so having curls around the bald areas helped to disguise a lot of it and we are not going to be cutting her hair any time soon as that's her saving grace so to speak. She is going the aggressive route to treat it as she's 16 and appearances are big in high school. I'm proud of her going through this past year of school with bald spots and making it without a breakdown or insisting on homeschooling. If the treatment works, we have to wait and see, then it will still take months for her hair to come back. She is a wonder. She takes photos of her self all the time and doesn't let this hair thing stop her from being a normal girl. I know it's not easy. Can you hear all the pride in this post? It's overflowing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
WOW ! Sounds like one amazing girl who has a wonderful mother. Thanks for the inspiring post.
Good for her! Here's to hoping everything works out and her teenage years will be (mostly) normal.
Never normal around here. Just trying to go with the flow lately.
Thanks you guys. She had to fill out several forms and I did most of them but the personal one which asked about things going on in her life and under stresses she had typical teenage angst instead of no hair. LOL
Awesome!! Puts things in perceptive. Hair is important as a teen girl. I remember using sponge rollers one night and being teased unmercifully for resembling Annie!
That must be a terrible thing for a teenage girl to cope with. No wonderr you are so proud of her.
x
What a diagnosis for a teenage girl to deal with -- but congratulations on having such a super kid dealing with it so well! I know I might well have refused to go to school, and certainly would have indulged in the breakdown...anyone would have understood if you daughter did either. She's going to go far, I'm thinking. I'll bet you're proud; she should be too!
Good luck with treatment and waiting through the growing-out period. I hope all goes well.
Post a Comment